Fresh Cherry SlicesDarlene Boomsma, Crete
- 5 to 6 cups fresh pitted cherries, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds (I used Bing)
- 1/2 cup water.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar.
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch.
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract.
½ c butter, 2 sticks
1 ½ c sugar
2 c flour, sifted
1 T fresh lemon juice
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cherries, water, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
Stir in almond extract. Cool slightly before using as a topping.
Cream butter and add sugar gradually, adding eggs 1 at a time. Add flour and lemon juice and mix well. Pour into jelly roll pan and mark off 20 squares. Place cherry pie filling in center of each square. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes until done. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm. Serves 20.