Quinoa Risotto with Arugula and ParmesanChef Marcia, Flossmoor
- 1 T olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped (about ½ c)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 c quinoa, well rinsed
- 2 ¼ c low-sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 2 c stemmed arugula, chopped
- 1 small carrot peeled and finely shredded
- ½ c thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- ¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and quinoa and cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Don't let the garlic brown.
Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the quinoa is almost tender to the bite but slightly hard in the center, about 12 minutes. The mixture will be brothy. Stir in the arugula, carrot and mushrooms and simmer until the quinoa grains have turned from white to translucent, about 2 minutes longer. Stir in the cheese and season with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately.