What farmers can do now to support Monarchs, Pollinators
Farmers are taking steps to support monarchs and other pollinators, including.
- Planting pollinator habitat, including milkweed and other flowers that bloom from May through October along roadsides, infield corners and around your homestead.
- Practicinge pesticide stewardship by following pesticide labels and monitoring surroundings for sensitive areas and endangered species.
- Altering mowing practices. Don’t mow right of ways unless needed for safety, problematic weeds and wood encroachment. Discuss pollinator and wildlife habitat benefits with landlords to negotiate flexible mowing practices and leases.
- Posting signs at pollinator habitats to raise awareness.
- Sharing your conservation efforts, including planting habitats, with local groups and the media.
- Working with FFA, 4-H and Agriculture in the Classroom to create habitat and provide information about pollinators.
- Reaching out to the Illinois Farm Bureau to be connected with pollinator researchers and possibly host research projects on your farm.