Forest Preserve District Budget
The Cook County Forest Preserve District’s budget will be 7.6% higher in 2021 compared to this year. The budget proposal relies heavily on reserve funds. The $134.2 million budget is targeted at catching up on maintenance and improving infrastructure.
Items of interest
- $23.3 million to Brookfield Zoo and the Chicago Botanic Garden.
- Forty percent of Corporate Reserve Fund.
- Reducing departments’ and non-personnel budges by 10 percent or more.
- New trail connections to the Popular Creek Trail and the Busse Trail system.
- Pollinator garden at the River Trail Nature Center.
- $25 million intergovernmental agreement with the Cook County Department of Transportation and Highways to resurface forest preserve trails and access roads over the next five years.
- Rebuild of permits department’s online reservation system.
- In 2020, the forest preserve moved to 100 percent renewable electricity due to renewable energy certificates.
- Prioritizing the on-going pension shortfall.
The budget will be implemented on December 1. Farm Bureau will monitor budget development and provide input as necessary.