5 Things You Should Know about...Farming, Food and July
- More pickles are eaten on July 4 than any other time of the year.
- Independence Day is the most popular holiday for barbecuing and burgers are the number one meat for the grill followed by steak, hotdogs, and chicken.
- Thomas Jefferson first opened the White House on Independence Day in 1801, serving food to anyone who ventured inside.
- Corn is commonly used to make dextrin, a binding compound used to help fireworks burn properly.
- July is home to a number of month-long food-related observances including National Grilling Month, Picnic Month, Hot Dog Month, Baked Bean Month, Deli Salad Month, Watermelon Month, Ice Cream Month, Blueberry Month, Blackberry Month, Mango and Melon Month, Eggplant and Lettuce Month, Nectarine Month, Raspberry Month, and Horseradish Month.