Pumpkin Fun Facts
- Pumpkin pie filling is the #1 pumpkin product on the market. Pumpkin spice lattes come in at a close second.
- More than 85% of the world’s canned pumpkin is processed at the Libby’s plant in Morton, Illinois.
- In 2019, Illinois farmers grew nearly 420 million pounds of pumpkins with a value of more than $17 million.
- Pumpkin pie has been a staple in fall Thanksgiving feasts in New England as far back as the 18th century.
- According to a 2019 Instacart survey, 68% of Americans secretly dislike a classic Thanksgiving dish but eat it anyway because of tradition. The top offenders are canned cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes and sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie, and turkey.
- 94% of Americans enjoy pie on Thanksgiving. At the top of the list? You guessed it – pumpkin pie.