5 Things members should know about...Farming and Christmas
- The holiday table is filled with abundant, nutritious, and affordable (despite recent inflation pressures) foods thanks to farmers including the ham, turkey, potatoes, stuffing, vegetables (Grandma’s green bean casserole), salads, breads, and oh so much more.
- Those wonderful gingerbread and sugar cookies started out as fresh farm product ingredients.
- The fresh-cut tree is a farmed “crop” grown and carefully nurtured over the years by your local tree farmer.
- Poinsettias and other quality flowers are raised and cared for by your local greenhouse farmer.
- Eggnog is enjoyed by farmers (but not too much) as they still have to go out and care for the livestock even through the holidays.